Friday, November 18, 2011

Touché In A Good Way

I decided to do a little Christmas shopping this morning and found myself browsing the aisles of Ulta.  My son loves salon products (though I torture him with the more cost efficient drug store brands) and was looking for a value gift set.  None were to be found.  I had a short list of items for myself and started hunting for those.  No such luck.  Frustration started to set in, as I had coupons burning a hole in my pocket and beauty products calling my name.  I combed through the store looking for something, anything, worth buying.  My last stop was in the flat iron section.  My son has been complaining about his current flat iron "frying his hair", so maybe I would strike gold there.  Since I’ve already admitted to buying drug store shampoo (Suave to be exact), you’ve probably guessed I am not willing to shell out $100+ dollars for a flat iron.  I skimmed through the price tags, looking for something with a name brand (important to him) and low price.  I zeroed in on a hot pink Bed Head 1" flat iron for $30.  Eureka!  I began inspecting my prospect, when I felt the radar eyes of a sales associate zooming in on me.  When this happens, my guard immediately flies up.  I made my start in retail and know the associates have daily, do or die, sales goals.  I did not want to go through the spiel as to why I really NEEDED to purchase the $100 Chi flat iron.  Look lady, no one NEEDS a $100 flat iron, let alone my teenage son.  She made her way over with a glossy red smile and wing tipped eyes and asked if she could help me find anything.  I told her I had just found what I was looking for and explained it was for my teenage son.  She eyeballed the iron for a moment and looked at me with hesitance, “How do you think he’s going to feel about it being pink?”

Pause.  I have a filter, I really do.  Every time I’m asked a question, I usually think of a silent response only I could appreciate, and then speak the one I know to be appropriate.  This morning I suffered a slight filter malfunction and responded in a ‘duh’ sort of fashion, “My son is gay, he loves pink.”  She didn’t even give me time to regret or enjoy my comment with her quick reply, “My daughter is a lesbian and she can’t stand pink.”  Well damn.  This was a first.  My filter malfunction is often used as a scare tactic to make annoying people go away and she just one upped me.  Impressive.  God, maybe I do need a $100 flat iron. 

I asked the sales associate (turns out she’s the manager) if she was serious and she gave me a grinning, yes.  She told me her daughter is 23 and came out to her when she was 20.  We went on to talk for about 15 minutes comparing some of our parenting experiences.  She didn’t know her daughter was gay, growing up, but in retrospect felt there were some signs she missed.  The example she used: Her daughter would get very upset over tiffs with her (platonic) girlfriends.  More upset than what she felt was normal.  She had no idea these girlfriends were actually crushes.  Remember how tough that was?  Ugh, the heartache!  So, not only was her daughter having her heart broken, she had no one to talk about it with.  Double heartache!  

Our conversation was interrupted by a customer and we said a quick goodbye.  I felt so glad to have this exchange and left feeling completely exhilarated.  Funny how easily we connect with strangers, when we should really place more focus on connecting with those closest to us.  Thank you Ulta for a little life lesson and no, I did not buy the $100 flat iron. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this with me. You obviously know by now that I am a very open minded and non-judgmental person. I hope you know by now that I will respect your privacy too. Your family will face many challenges in life, more than the average person. Continue to be the strong and loving person that you are and you will all persevere. I enjoy your writing immensely and please know that I will be following you.
    Your friend

    ReplyDelete