Saturday, October 8, 2011

Intro

Allow me to introduce myself.  I am a mom, wife and Christian.  Not enough information?  Need more?  My living room is too small to sustain an elephant, so I will just answer the question.  I’m straight!  I know kind of boring, but it is how I was born and you’ll just have to accept it.  My teen son is gay, however, and that’s why I’m here. 

First thing I need to get off my chest: sexuality is personal.  Why must we identify people according to sexual preference?  Nose pickers are afforded this courtesy, though most will lie and say the act is unthinkable.  Look buddy, I’ve got nosepickerdar and it’s goin’ off like crazy.  Use.A.Kleenex.  Blow!  Please don’t use our local library!  No person should be required to give a sexual preference biography.  The notion is just weird, yet society expects this from individuals who could be possible non-heterosexuals.  Identity is a broad spectrum of variables and sexual preference should not be first on the getting to know you list.  Books, music, spirituality, life experiences, core values, nose picking.  The possibilities are endless, but in true make Freud proud fashion, we have this underlying need to know a person’s sexual preferences.  Show some class and leave it be.  In the meantime, I suggest nose pickers come out of the closet, so we can get you the help you need. 

Things that are bothering me right now.  Bullying.   Jamey Rodemeyer, you should still be with us and I am so very sorry society was not here to protect you.  You will not be forgotten and I hope our government reconsiders their anti-bullying strategy.  Religion.  I was raised Catholic and have this pulling desire to become more involved in the church, but refuse to expose my son to an environment that will condemn him.  This morning, a friend posted on Facebook a picture of a Baptist (Life Gate Baptist Church, Pitt County, NC) marquee sign stating, “Homosexuality is a sin”.  1)  Again, why are we discussing sexual preferences on a marquee?  Is it a sin to be on top or should I just stick with missionary?  2)  What happened to God is love?  There’s only One on the judge panel and it’s not you.  I feel like I failed my son in regards to religion, which is heart breaking.  Sure, I’ve taught him all I can about faith and religion, but society won’t allow him to worship without condemnation.  How empty. 

I‘ll leave it at that and return as the mood strikes.  I suppose I’m just wondering around, hands stretched out in front of me, looking for answers.  This I know: I refuse to give up on good.  I refuse to give up on God.  I will never give up on gay (LGBT) equality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment